Preventive Dentistry in Brandon, FL
A healthy mouth is an important component of your overall health and well-being, and preventive dental care is an essential part of the services we provide at Walker & Barr, DMD.
Two of the most important things you can do for your oral health are maintaining excellent brushing and flossing habits and visiting our Brandon, FL, dental office for teeth cleanings and exams every six months. Doing so minimizes your risk for cavities and gum disease, and our dentists can proactively identify areas of concern and provide exceptional dental care.
Stay a Step Ahead of Gum Disease
Brushing twice daily and flossing once are crucial for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. However, even the most conscientious at-home oral hygiene can't get your teeth as clean as they need to be.
That's why we recommend professional teeth cleanings with one of our skilled hygienists every six months for patients of all ages. Some patients may need more frequent cleanings to stay a step ahead of gum disease, and your hygienist will recommend the frequency that's right for you.
What's Involved with Professional Teeth Cleanings
Oral hygiene visits and proper at-home care can help prevent periodontal disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss and extend the lifespan of dental restorations. During your six-month teeth cleanings, our gentle hygienists complete the following steps:
- Remove plaque – Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria, food debris, and saliva that forms on your teeth. Your hygienist carefully removes every trace of plaque, focusing on the areas between teeth where it commonly causes cavities.
- Remove tartar – Plaque that sits on the teeth and isn't removed with daily brushing and flossing turns into tartar, a hard, mineral-like substance that inflames gums and leads to periodontal disease. Tartar, also called calculus, forms above and below the gumline, and only a skilled hygienist can remove it using special instruments.
- Polish teeth – The final step is tooth polishing to remove surface stains and remaining plaque and leave behind the slick, smooth feeling of a fresh, clean smile.
Comprehensive Dental Exams Every Six Months
Regular dental exams with Dr. Walker and Dr. Barr every six months are as crucial as teeth cleanings. When our dentists in Brandon, FL, see you twice a year, they can monitor your oral health for any new developments, including:
- Taking digital diagnostic x-rays as needed to detect decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss
- Using an intraoral camera during your exam so you can see what your dentist sees
- Performing an oral cancer screening where they check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, gums, and tissues.
- Inspecting all tooth surfaces for signs of cavities, especially between teeth where cavities commonly develop.
- Checking existing restorations to ensure they are in good condition and functioning properly.
After your exam, our dentists will review all their findings with you and discuss what, if any, treatment they recommend to bring your oral health back up to par.
Brush Twice a Day, Floss Once for a Healthy Smile
For optimal oral hygiene, your Brandon dentists. Dr. Walker and Dr. Barr recommend brushing your teeth at least twice daily—after every meal is ideal—and floss once.
Daily flossing removes food particles and plaque your toothbrush misses, especially between teeth and at or below the gumline. Flossing also stimulates your gums to help decrease your risk of developing gum disease and cavities.
Schedule Your Next Exam and Teeth Cleaning in Brandon, FL!
If you have questions about oral hygiene, teeth cleanings, or preventive care or would like to schedule an appointment, please contact your Brandon dentists, Dr. Walker or Dr. Barr, today at (813) 689-5928.
We also proudly serve friends and neighbors in the surrounding communities of Valrico, Riverview, Seffner, Plant City, Apollo Beach, Tampa, and beyond.